Here's a list of questions we asked ourselves as we went through our home and decided what to keep and what to let go. If you're thinking of seriously de-cluttering your life, I recommended going through your whole house at least 3 different times over several months. For us, it became easier to know what to let go with each pass. Try to be honest with yourself as you answer these questions.
1) If I didn't already own this, would I go out and buy it?
2) Is this something I use regularly or love?
3) Am I keeping this because I THINK I should love or use it?
4) Am I holding onto this item out of obligation to someone?
5) Am I keeping this "just in case?"
6) For sentimental items like old trophies and childhood toys, could I be happy with a photo of it and let the object itself go?
7) Do I have multiples of this item?
8) Is it worth the effort to fix, store, use, or clean this?
9) Could something else I own do the same job? Could a one dual purpose item replace several one trick ponies?
10) Do I have a real plan to use this item?
11) How long has it been since I used this item?
12) Is this item used for a hobby I'm no longer involved in?
13) Has this item already fulfilled its purpose in my life?
14) Am I attaching sentiment to too many things? Could I benefit from taking a break from all this de-cluttering?
15) If the house burned down would I replace this item?
We'd love to hear your tips in the comments below!